frigate mackerel

lassl

post-16908-014554900 1297235209_thumb.jpgMy mate & I caught a couple trolling about two Km's off Kilcare beach heading towards Lion Island yesterday not sure if they wre frigate mackerel or Mackerel tuna. We chased them for about an hour it was an amazing sight.

Could actually be a mac, it seems to have a spot behind it's gill , above the bottom fin. It should have 5 , but they are not always obvious!

This is a Mac I caught in the Harbour yesterday on fly.The Mac compared to the Frigate doesn't have a space between dorsal fins.

Mark

post-2678-011006600 1297239122_thumb.jpg

Edited by mgj

post-16908-014554900 1297235209_thumb.jpgMy mate & I caught a couple trolling about two Km's off Kilcare beach heading towards Lion Island yesterday not sure if they wre frigate mackerel or Mackerel tuna. We chased them for about an hour it was an amazing sight.

Hard to say for sure from your pic - the spots are not conclusive as the frigates can have them too, although it might be a bit early for them. The definitive test is the gap between the two dorsal fins - yours actually looks like a frigate with the large gap between the two, but the photo could be misleading - compare with Mark's pic with the long low rear part of the front dorsal that extends almost to the second dorsal fin. That is definitely a mac.

I've noticed that they seem to turn up at South West Rocks at around the same time the Triathlon is on there .......... next weekend!!! I'll be up there for the next 3 weekends, so hope to find some somewhere!!!

Little pocket rockets - always fun on light gear! Saw something zooming around the Marina here in Forster today & wondered if it was a Frigate!!

Roberta

I've noticed that they seem to turn up at South West Rocks at around the same time the Triathlon is on there .......... next weekend!!! I'll be up there for the next 3 weekends, so hope to find some somewhere!!!

Little pocket rockets - always fun on light gear! Saw something zooming around the Marina here in Forster today & wondered if it was a Frigate!!

Roberta

good luck

Mate try Nth harbour around Middle heads to cliffton gdns, was out there yesterday & a couple of schools are breaking the surface they are pretty shy of the boat & dont stay in the one place too long hope that helps good luck champ

Mate try Nth harbour around Middle heads to cliffton gdns, was out there yesterday & a couple of schools are breaking the surface they are pretty shy of the boat & dont stay in the one place too long hope that helps good luck champ

thanks mate

There was a small school of them cruisin around down at Coal Terminal yeasterday but could not tempt them. They were chasing the bait fish i was catching but didn't seem to wanna eat them :wacko:

yeh there fussy fish

If there really fussy try going down to a 7 gram sea rock in blue or sometimes they are fixed on pink only and remove the standard silver treble and replace with a black one this reduces the profile of the lure making it appear smaller,And drop leader down to 10 LB flurocarbon as they are very visual.One very big mistake alot of people make is using a snap swivel in front of there lure which means the differance between fish or no fish especially with frigates and bonito etc.

If there really fussy try going down to a 7 gram sea rock in blue or sometimes they are fixed on pink only and remove the standard silver treble and replace with a black one this reduces the profile of the lure making it appear smaller,And drop leader down to 10 LB flurocarbon as they are very visual.One very big mistake alot of people make is using a snap swivel in front of there lure which means the differance between fish or no fish especially with frigates and bonito etc.

thanks for the advive. have caught bonito on the sea rock lure but could only find them in the pearl white colour