IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phytolacca dioica (ombo tree)

Josh-O

Is anyone growing this massive trunked tree?

I have a HUGE open space and I thought I would try to find some seed to grow one up to someday palnt out

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Josh, look at Daves post on page 2.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Hi Josh

In my city there are a few of this trees. They grow easily and fast. The biggest are in public old gardens.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

That is an amazing tree! 

I bought 500 seeds and it turns out they were a bad batch so I got a refund. I would have much preferred them to grow! 

5 hours ago, santoury said:

That is an amazing tree! 

I bought 500 seeds and it turns out they were a bad batch so I got a refund. I would have much preferred them to grow! 

I think my seed batch was bad two. It's been 3 weeks with no luck yet

Sunset zone 24

6 hours ago, DiegoGM said:

Hi Josh

In my city there are a few of this trees. They grow easily and fast. The biggest are in public old gardens.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

can you get some seed from that tree?

Sunset zone 24

Josh - PM me where you got your seeds - maybe from the same place as me - He knows it's a bad batch and was extremely helpful and honest about it. 

Seeds from THAT sucker - would be - awesome! 

On 3/3/2016, 4:32:53, santoury said:

Josh - PM me where you got your seeds - maybe from the same place as me - He knows it's a bad batch and was extremely helpful and honest about it. 

Seeds from THAT sucker - would be - awesome! 

will do 

Sunset zone 24

From what little I've found online, looks like 9a at least. Anyone know more specifically the cold hardiness?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Opal92 said:

From what little I've found online, looks like 9a at least. Anyone know more specifically the cold hardiness?

that's pretty cold hard if you ask me.

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

that's pretty cold hard if you ask me.

From my experience in zone 8, that 20 degree cut off point makes a big difference for many plants labeled under "zone 9." Like floss silk tree is usually put for zone 9, and after reading many grower's experience, it's apparent that 8b would be just too cold. As for P. dioica, I've read a report of a 30 ft. tree freezing to the ground in San Antonio (exact temp not listed though), and then another comment of the foliage frying at temps just below freezing. Not much information. So wondering what it will be like in a climate where there are upper teens every few years. But yeah, probably still worth a try.

18 hours ago, Opal92 said:

From my experience in zone 8, that 20 degree cut off point makes a big difference for many plants labeled under "zone 9." Like floss silk tree is usually put for zone 9, and after reading many grower's experience, it's apparent that 8b would be just too cold. As for P. dioica, I've read a report of a 30 ft. tree freezing to the ground in San Antonio (exact temp not listed though), and then another comment of the foliage frying at temps just below freezing. Not much information. So wondering what it will be like in a climate where there are upper teens every few years. But yeah, probably still worth a try.

now I just need to find some viable seed. The stuff on e-bay is no good. trust me I've tried :( 

Thanks for your valuable feed back. looks like this tree will be no problem for 9b/10a with temps that may dip to 30F on occasion

Sunset zone 24

Hi Josh

Nowadays there are not seeds in the tree. Is winter! The tree have not leaves. Maybe in summer could be seeds.

9 hours ago, DiegoGM said:

Hi Josh

Nowadays there are not seeds in the tree. Is winter! The tree have not leaves. Maybe in summer could be seeds.

That would be fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunset zone 24